simon的写作课，在雅思备考上是有一定地位的。但仅从我个人感觉而言，simon的课可能不会帮助我们快速提高雅思的分数，他相反是从一个客观的角度去分析雅思作文，而且强调的也是提高我们自身的硬实力。尽管他会在这里教我们一些技巧，以及一些看上去很好的“应试方法”，但其实更多的是需要我们自身的练习。就像他在视频中反复强调的那样“You need lots of practice"。
Understand the task
Break the task into parts
- methods for different parts of the task
Lots of practice
Feedback, measure progress
- you probably need someone to check your work, give you feedback, on what you doing right, on what you doing wrong
Minimum 250 words, no maximum
- otherwise you may lose your score
- e.g. Family, health, education, work
3 or 4 main types of question
- Have you answer the question?
- If you didn't answer the question, you may get a lower score.
Coherence and cohesion
I tell my students to focus on the first three, to forget really about the grammar. You can improve your grammar very slowly in my experiences. Gradually reducing the mistakes you make. But I think you can improve much faster on the other three.
- 250 words
- 4 paragraphs
- about 13 sentences
- Not too long in this paragraphs
5 sentences each
- if you want a higher score, you really need to focus all of your best words, your best vocabulary, most of your attention on your main paragraphs.
- 1 sentence
total 40 minutes
- Introduction: 5 minutes
- Main body: 20 minutes
- Conclusion: 5 minutes
How to write a short, but effective introduction for writing task 2. To become better writing introductions, you need a method, and you need to practice the same method every time you write the essay. By practicing the same method, you become faster, and you become more confident writing in that way.
- introduce the topic
- give a general answer to the question
Only two sentences that about 30 to 40 words. Why don't we write a long introduction?
- That would be a waste of time.
- You can't get a high score just from your introduction. If you want get a higher score, you really need focus on the main body paragraphs.
- Problem and solutions
- Two-part question